Searching for the very best details about Italy? Effectively, look no additional, as a result of I’ve put collectively the last word checklist of enjoyable Italy details that’ll really blow your thoughts!
For a rustic that dates again so far as Italy does, it’s no marvel there’s so many bizarre, great and wanderlust-inducing details to find out about it.
It’s jam-packed with hundreds of years of historical past, is house to among the world’s most well-known sights, is the birthplace of a lot of our favorite meals and sees tens of millions of vacationers go to yr spherical for metropolis, seaside and snowfield getaways.
Italy has all of it and extra, and these 80 details about Italy will present you precisely why.
Now, because the Italians say – Andiamo!
Enjoyable Info About Italy
“Transfer to Italy. I imply it: they find out about dwelling in debt; they don’t care. I stayed on the market for 5 months whereas I used to be making a movie referred to as ‘Order Of Dying,’ they usually’ve actually received it sussed. Good vehicles. Sharp fits. Nice meals. Stroll into work at 10. Lunch from 12 until three. Depart work at 5. That’s dwelling!” – John Lydon, The Intercourse Pistols.
1) Italy is identifiable on a world map because of its distinctive “boot” form. The island of Sicily seems to be like a ball the boot is kicking. Italians are fanatics for soccer, so it solely is sensible.
2) Sport is massive enterprise in Italy, with soccer (soccer) being the most well-liked. The Italian soccer crew is without doubt one of the world’s finest. Italians additionally excel in Formulation 1 and biking.
3) Italy is comparable in measurement to its European neighbours – The Netherlands and Belgium – mixed, the UK or for Individuals, the state of Arizona.
4) The bottom temperature ever recorded in Italy was in 2013. The temperature dropped to -49.6C at mountainous Busa Fradusta Nord within the far north of the nation. The best temperature ever recorded in Italy was in Sicily. The mercury hit 48.5C in 1999.
5) Residents of Milan profit from all Italians, incomes a mean wage of €36,252 yearly. Rome is a detailed second, clocking in at simply over €30,252.
6) The primary shopping center ever constructed was constructed in Rome in 110 AD!
7) The parable of the “vomitorium” has its roots in Historic Rome. Many consider that well-to-do Romans vomited in public between meals to create space for extra meals. The jury continues to be out on whether or not these puke events actually occurred…
8) British literary legend William Shakespeare wrote prolifically about Italy, nevertheless it’s generally believed he by no means even visited the nation! A few of his biggest masterpieces are primarily based in Italy. Romeo and Juliet is ready in Verona and The Service provider of Venice takes place in – you guessed it – Venice. Then there’s Julius Caesar, The Taming of the Shrew, Antony and Cleopatra… the checklist goes on.
9) Italians love rubbing a statue for superstitious causes. In Florence, guests rub the nostril of the boar “Il Porcellino” on the Straw Market to be able to return to town or put a coin in his mouth for good luck. In Verona, vacationers rub the statue of Juliet Capulet’s proper breast for good luck. In Turin, college students rub the little finger of Christopher Columbus’s statue to move exams. In Pisa, guests rub the lizard sculpture on the Cathedral for good luck. You get the image.
10) In Italy, the quantity 13 is definitely thought of good luck. It’s the quantity 17 that Italians take into account dangerous luck.
Attention-grabbing Info about Italy
“You will have the universe if I could have Italy.” – Giuseppe Verdi
11) Europe has three energetic volcanoes, and they’re all in Italy! They’re Etna, Stromboli and Vesuvius – the latter infamous for burying town of Pompeii throughout its 79 AD eruption. However it’s really Mount Etna, on the island of Sicily, that’s the most energetic volcano in Italy.
12) Italy shares its borders with six international locations – France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, San Marino and naturally, Vatican Metropolis, which lies inside Rome.
13) A few of the most well-known pure and artifical landmarks on the earth are situated in Italy. These embody The Colosseum, The Trevi Fountain, The Vatican, The Spanish Steps (all in Rome), The Leaning Tower of Pisa, The Duomo in Florence, the ruins of Pompeii and the Venice canals.
14) Italy has two small international locations inside it! These are Vatican Metropolis in Rome, the headquarters of the Catholic Church, and San Marino in Northern Italy.
15) Italy’s inhabitants is usually Christian, with the vast majority of these figuring out as Roman Catholic.
16) The shoreline is Italy is famend for its magnificence, and stretches nearly 8000km. Lovely areas embody the Italian Riviera and the Amalfi Coast, together with breathtaking coastal cities Sorrento and Positano.
17) Italy additionally has many beautiful islands to discover and is a summer season hotspot for guests from throughout the globe. Island highlights embody Capri, Sardinia, and Elba, which all boast turquoise waters, sprawling seashores, scorching summers and a incredible mixture of historic and trendy points of interest.
18) You may see Galileo’s center finger in Italy – true story! It’s on show on the Museo Galileo in Florence.
19) The Trevi Fountain in Rome sees vacationers tossing cash day-after-day into the fountain for good luck. The fountains earnings? An annual turnover of 1.4 million Euros, which is collected and break up between varied causes, together with homeless shelters.
20) The Italian Mafia’s earnings make up 7% of the international locations GDP.
Italy Info for Children
“Un bimbo che non gioca, felicita ne ha poca”. -Italian proverb. (Translation: A toddler that doesn’t play, has little happiness.)
21) The foreign money of Italy is the Euro. It discarded its conventional Lira for the extensively used EU foreign money in 2001.
22) Italy has probably the most variety of earthquakes of any nation in Europe.
23) The wolf is the nationwide animal of Italy.
24) The inhabitants of Italy is 62 million (as of 2019.)
25) The capital metropolis of Italy is Rome.
26) The Italian flag is three stripes in pink, white and inexperienced. These colors symbolise charity, religion and hope (respectively).
27) The Italian language is most just like French, adopted by Spanish. Whereas the English language has 26 letters, conventional Italian solely has 21.
28) Italy cares for cats. They’ve a “no kill” regulation, designed to guard homeless and stray cats. Cats are free to roam wherever they discover themselves, together with round main landmarks just like the Colosseum in Rome and all throughout Venice. There’s additionally many cat shelters designed to look after those who want it. Essentially the most revered Roman shelter is the Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary, which is satirically on the precise web site the place Julius Caesar died.
29) The oldest college on the earth is in Italy. The College of Bologna opened in 1088 and nonetheless operates right this moment. Italy likes to set data, so it’s no shock that The College of Rome is definitely Europe’s greatest – with 150,000 college students!
30) Italy has extra official UNESCO heritage websites than another nation on Earth. There’s at present 53 in Italy alone.
Meals Info About Italy
“Every thing you see, I owe to spaghetti.” – Sophia Loren
31) You could be shocked to be taught that as a lot as they find it irresistible, Italians didn’t invent pasta! Arab retailers really introduced it to Italy within the thirteenth century, and it was initially cooked with honey and sugar. Now, there’s over 600 completely different pasta shapes in existence.
32) Pizza was invented in Naples within the nineteenth century. Raffaele Esposito created the “Pizza Margherita”, which represented the Italian flag colors by its cheese, basil and tomato base.
33) Historians consider the early idea of “quick meals” began in Historic Rome. Avenue distributors offered meals in every single place in any respect hours, and most of the people of the time ate out as a substitute of at house.
34) Gelato is an Italian treasure, and gelateria’s will be discovered on nearly each road nook in most Italian cities. The artwork of gelato-making takes a few years to grasp, and has been thought of a extremely expert commerce throughout Italy for generations. There’s even a college in Italy that trains budding gelato masters!
35) Cheese is central to most main Italian dishes, together with pizza and pasta, and the nation has invented some incredible cheeses. These embody mozzarella, pecorino, Gorgonzola, ricotta, bocconcini and Parmesan.
36) There’s a FREE 24 hour working wine fountain within the wine area of Abruzzo. It’s the creation of a neighborhood vineyard. To Abruzzo!!!
37) The typical Italian consumes greater than 50 kilos of pasta annually. Most Italians eat pasta a minimum of as soon as a day.
38) Italy, very like many European international locations – particularly these within the Mediterranean – deal with lunch as their primary meal of the day. They take a protracted lunch and infrequently spend it with their households.
39) Italian espresso is revered as among the finest on the earth, however the addition of milk to most roasts is one thing solely the remainder of us do. Italians solely drink milky coffees within the morning, with most sticking to black espresso or espresso the remainder of the time.
40) Nationwide “Eat Italian Meals Day” is each February 13. Mark that one in your calendar.
Fascinating Info About Rome
“I discovered Rome a metropolis of bricks and left it a metropolis of marble.” – Augustus, Roman Emperor
41) The nickname for Rome is “The Everlasting Metropolis”.
42) Rome was based in 753 BC by brothers Romulus and Remus. Whereas the beginnings of Rome are nonetheless principally a delusion, many landmarks of Rome pay homage to its supposed begin by artwork.
43) The inhabitants of Rome is 2.9 million as of 2019, the most important metropolis inhabitants in Italy.
44) Rome is house to 280 fountains and 900 church buildings.
45) The toga is usually related to Historic Rome, however few realize it was really a logo of standing. Solely free males who have been Roman residents have been entitled to put on the toga, however right this moment…faculty college students everywhere in the world do.
46) The life expectancy of these in Historic Rome was wherever from 20-30 years. Fortunately, instances have modified. The typical Italian lives till 82 on common.
47) The town-state of Vatican Metropolis, inside Rome, has a everlasting inhabitants of between 800-1000 residents – the Pope being one in all them. This makes it the smallest unbiased state on the earth by inhabitants, and its space solely covers round 0.17 sq. miles.
48) Rome is a comparatively secure metropolis, with offences resembling pickpocketing making up the majority of reported crime. Many pickpockets and thieves function round common vacationer points of interest and landmarks, so concentrate on your environment always.
49) The Bocca Della Verità (“Mouth of Reality”) marble sculpture was made well-known within the Audrey Hepburn movie Roman Vacation, and right this moment many vacationers go to to attempt their luck at inserting their hand into the lion’s mouth, similar to Audrey did. Superstition says that he bites off the hand of liars. It’s a enjoyable custom and centrally situated close to The Roman Discussion board.
50) Rome has a museum devoted fully to pasta. I need to go to there.
Italy Info About Artwork & Tradition
“The Creator made Italy by designs from Michelangelo.” – Mark Twain
51) Italy is famed for its style, with many Italian manufacturers now family names. These embody Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Armani, Gucci and Valentino.
52) Italian artists all through historical past are among the most well-known throughout the globe. Some famend Italian artists are Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Donatello (hiya Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 90’s flashbacks) and Botticelli.
53) A few of the most well-known items of artwork on the earth have been created by Italian artists and stay in Italy for guests to take pleasure in right this moment. The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in The Vatican is Michaelangelo’s masterpiece, as is the Statue of David, which is on show within the metropolis of Florence. Maybe probably the most well-known Italian art work is the Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci, however that’s on show in The Louvre in Paris. Da Vinci’s Final Supper can also be traditionally essential, and on show in Milan.
54) Nice artwork in Italy has been the topic of many tried burglaries or acts of vandalism. In 1981, a Hungarian-Australian vandalised Michaelangelo’s iconic sculpture, Pietà, in Vatican Metropolis. Laszlo Toth used a hammer to take away the arm, nostril and eyelid of the statue of Mary and Jesus in entrance of shocked onlookers. Regardless of this, he solely spent two years in a psychiatrist facility in Italy earlier than being deported to Australia.
55) Whereas all Italian cities have been the inspiration of nice artwork and style, Milan has a agency repute because the cultural epicentre of all issues inventive. Milan Style Week is without doubt one of the world’s greatest style festivals, and town was the place most of the greats honed their craft.
56) Many stars of each traditional and trendy cinema hail from Italy. Some names you may recognise? Sophia Loren, Isabella Rossellini, Roberto Benigni and Monica Bellucci, for starters.
57) Some Italian movies have bridged the cultural hole and change into hits in Hollywood. Most likely probably the most well-known Italian language movie is Life is Lovely from 1998. The movie scooped the Academy Awards, with director and star Roberto Benigni inflicting a stir along with his chair-leaping theatrics when accepting his Finest Actor Oscar.
58) Roughly 80% of the world’s recognised items of nice artwork are held in Italy. All of the extra purpose to go to!
59) Leather-based manufacturing is one other craft Italy is world well-known for. Italian leather-based is taken into account superior to different international locations, as a result of conventional processes it goes by which were used for hundreds of years. You may expertise the method of leather-based making in Italy for your self, with many tanneries operating workshops or demonstrations. Florence is a metropolis that prides itself on its leather-based and you’ll decide up a real leather-based bag or jacket at a discount at a lot of its markets.
60) In case you’re an artwork connoisseur, there’s many main museums in Italy that may thrill you. The Uffizi Gallery and Galleria dell’Accademia in Florence, Vatican Museums in Vatican Metropolis, The Borghese Gallery & Museum in Rome and the Museo Egizio in Turin ought to all be in your checklist!
Historic Info About Italy
“It’s best to see the Colosseum Spaniard. Fifty-thousand Romans… watching each motion of your sword… prepared you to make that killer blow. The silence earlier than you strike and the noise afterwards. It rises. It rises up… like a storm. As in the event you have been the thunder god himself.” – Proximo, Gladiator
61) The Roman Empire, one of many biggest in all of historical past, resulted in 395 AD after a reign of round 500 years. At its peak, the vastness of the Roman Empire spanned 4.4 million km (estimate), and dominated over 57 million folks.
62) Gladiators repeatedly fought for his or her lives for the leisure of Roman leaders. These battles occurred throughout a lot of the Roman Empire, however many affiliate Rome’s Colosseum with probably the most extremely regarded occasions of the time.
63) Whereas Italy is now a democratic republic, it’s lengthy historical past has meant it’s seen its fair proportion of governments. Some names it’s possible you’ll recognise embody tragic determine Julius Caesar, terrifying dictators Nero and Caligula and self-appointed Emperor, Frenchman Napoleon Bonaparte.
64) Roman chief and recognisable identify even right this moment, Julius Caesar, contributed to the rise of the Roman Empire. However it’s his love triangle between Egyptian Queen Cleopatra – with whom he had one little one – and Roman Normal Mark Antony, that’s one for the historical past books. Caesar was assassinated by a number of Roman Senators who plotted to overthrow the dictator.
65) The Emperor Caligula is without doubt one of the most feared and insane figures from historical past – and for good purpose. On the peak of his energy, he murdered or exiled nearly all of his household, tortured prisoners and appointed his horse a Senator. It ought to come as no shock that he was assassinated at age 29.
66) Italy solely grew to become one nation as latest as 1861. Earlier than that, after the autumn of the Roman Empire, it was a collection of kingdoms and unbiased states.
67) The Colosseum was the most important amphitheatre ever constructed for the time, and seated 50,000 spectators. Its opening in 80 AD was marked by 100 days of video games, which included gladiator battles and wild animal fights. For over 400 years, the Colosseum was the centre of leisure in Rome, earlier than falling into neglect and disrepair. Now it nonetheless stands within the coronary heart of Rome as an iconic world landmark and a heavily-trafficked vacationer vacation spot.
68) The historic eruption of Mount Vesuvius and the following destruction and burial of the traditional metropolis of Pompeii is a well-known historic story. However whereas it was buried beneath metres of ash and pumice in 79 AD, it wasn’t till 1748 that it was rediscovered. The volcanic particles had preserved a lot of the city and 2600 of its residents our bodies, leaving it frozen in time. Now over 2 million annual guests make their approach to the excavated UNESCO listed metropolis to see the unimaginable relics for themselves.
69) Through the First World Conflict (1914-1918), Italy fought on the facet of the Triple Entente/Allies (Britain, France and Russia), selecting to not assist its ally Germany. Nonetheless the Second World Conflict (1939-1945), Italy was lead by fascist dictator Benito Mussolini and was a part of the “Axis” which included Germany and Japan.
70) Benito Mussolini was the Italian Prime Minister From 1922 till 1943. He was executed alongside his mistress and different ministers and officers by partisans within the last days of WW2 in 1945. Their our bodies have been displayed in Milan for folks to hurl stones and spit at.
Info About Venice
“Venice is like consuming a complete field of chocolate liqueurs in a single go.” – Truman Capote
71) Venice is a metropolis within the north of Italy that’s characterised by a collection of 100 small islands surrounded by canals and lagoons. It’s on the Adriatic Sea.
72) Venice was initially constructed on its maze of canals and lagoons to guard it from international armies.
73) Venice has had many nicknames given to it over time. Just some embody “Metropolis of Bridges”, “Queen of the Adriatic”, “The Floating Metropolis” and even merely, “Metropolis of Water”.
74) From round 600 AD to 1797, Venice was its personal nation, and named The Republic of Venice. When Napoleon grew to become Emperor, this independence got here to an finish.
75) The precise everlasting inhabitants of Venice is comparatively small in comparison with different Italian cities, with round 60,000 residents. This was as soon as a a lot bigger determine, however with the inflow of vacationers, the prices to keep up a Venetian house, common flooding and sinking and total costs, it’s anticipated that Venice will one at exist solely as a vacationer attraction and never as a spot to stay.
76) Gondolas are a recognisable a part of life in Venice, and there are over 350 in Venice ferrying vacationers round in conventional fashion.
77) One of many narrowest streets on the earth will be present in Venice. It measures simply 53cm extensive!
78) Venice’s bridges are additionally well-known, and there are nearly 500 throughout town. Venice’s bridges so as to add to your bucket checklist embody the Rialto Bridge and the Bridge of Sighs.
79) Venice is slowly sinking, and specialists estimate at a charge of 1-2 mm a yr.
80) Each February, Venice comes alive for “Carnevale”, a fortnight-long celebration the place folks throughout town put on ornate, vibrant Venetian masks. This can be a centuries previous custom, and attracts roughly 3 million vacationers to Venice’s shores.
What are a few of your favourite Info About Italy?
I might actually write hundreds extra enjoyable Italy details and figures, however I wished to maintain it beneath 100! In case you suppose I would like so as to add any particular truth, stat, or determine, please do let me know! Italy is one in all my favourite international locations on the earth (and I even used to stay there!
Planning a visit to Italy or Europe?
My web site is crammed with superior articles like issues to do, itineraries, music festivals, and a lot extra! I’d love for you to have a look by a few my favorites beneath, and let me know what you suppose!
- The right way to Spend the Excellent Weekend in Rome for First Time Guests
- The Finest 10 Issues to do in Porto Ercole, Italy
- High 10 Superb Issues To Do in Florence, Italy
- 5 Should-Attempt Locations to Eat in Florence, Italy
- Enjoyable Info About Italy – Shocking THings about Italian Tradition
- 2 Days in London Itinerary | The right way to Spend 48 Hours in London
- The 30 Finest U.Ok Music Festivals To Expertise Earlier than You Die
- High 20 Techno Festivals in Europe To Expertise Earlier than You Die
- High 18 Music Festivals in Scotland to Expertise Earlier than You Die
- The 23 Finest Music Festivals in Eire To Expertise Earlier than You Die
- High 10 Music Festivals in Leeds to Expertise Earlier than You Die
- 2 Days in Madrid | The right way to Discover Madrid in 48 Hours
- 2 Days in Copenhagen | The Finest 48 Hours/ Weekend Information to Copenhagen
- Flashpacking Finland | My Northern Lights Bucket Checklist Journey
- The 20 Finest Techno Festivals in Europe to Expertise This Summer time
- 2 Days in Budapest | The Final 48 Hour Weekend Information to Budapest
- 2 Days In Berlin itinerary | The right way to Discover Berlin in 48 Hours
- 2 Days in Prague | What to See & Do in Prague in 48 Hours’
- 2 Days in Athens | The Finest 48 Hours Information to Athens
Thanks for studying about these epic Info About Italy
Share these Italy Info together with your journey squad!