Thailand is affordable, cheerful, tropical, and downright superior. From the buzzing chaos of Bangkok to the paradise islands and the mountainous northern areas. Thailand is a surprising nation with an interesting tradition and infinite adventures to be found, and a 3-week Thailand itinerary can give you all that.
In fact, most individuals know in regards to the world-renowned islands or the total moon get together. However have you ever heard in regards to the monkey pageant? And may you pronounce Bangkok’s ceremonial identify? Properly, that one is fairly robust.
There are a ton of intriguing information about Thailand which could have you scratching your head, gasping in shock, smiling just like the Thais, and determined to go to the nation. Learn on to seek out out some Thailand enjoyable information.
Thailand Data and Details
Earlier than we delve deep into the bizarre, great, and lesser-known information about Thailand, let’s cowl the fundamentals.
- The official identify of Thailand is ‘The Kingdom of Thailand’.
- Bangkok is the most important metropolis in Thailand, and a staggering one-tenth of the nation’s inhabitants lives within the capital metropolis.
- Thailand has 1430 islands.
- There are 350000 temples in Thailand.
- Thailand borders 4 nations: Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Malaysia.
- Over 30 million vacationers go to Thailand every year.
- Round 90% of Thai persons are Buddhist.
- Muay Thai boxing is Thailand’s nationwide sport and is known as “the artwork of eight limbs.”
- Thailand is simply a tiny bit greater than California.
- Thai has 76 letters, there are 44 consonants and 32 vowels. Typical of Asian languages, it’s tonal and focuses on inflections. It’s a tough language to be taught due to this.
- Thailand’s local weather is tropical, which implies that it’s highly regarded and humid. SE Asia experiences monsoon season from November to March and through this time there are lots of consecutive days of pouring rain.
- Thailand’s forex is Baht (฿).
- Thailand is the world’s fiftieth largest nation, simply barely bigger than Spain.
- Doi Inthanon within the northern mountain vary of Thanon Thong Chai is the best level in Thailand, sitting at 8415 ft above sea stage.
- There are 19 reserved wild animal species in Thailand. A reserved species is the best classification of safety in keeping with Thai conservation. It’s unlawful to breed, hunt, possess, or commerce these species which embrace the Sumatran rhino and the whale shark.
- Thailand’s nationwide image is the elephant. In 100 years, the wild elephant inhabitants has dropped from 100 000 to 2000. There are numerous elephant sanctuaries in Thailand that don’t have moral practices. Any vacationer ought to do thorough analysis earlier than visiting one.
Thai Tradition Details
Thailand has a singular and fascinating tradition, fully totally different from western nations and even its surrounding neighbors. It’s filled with idiosyncrasies, shows of respect, and smiles! All of which work to make the Thai tradition so colourful. Take a look at these Thai cultural information and I’m certain you’ll agree.
- The previous identify for Thailand was Siam, or particularly, the dominion of Siam. It is smart, then, that that is the place Siamese cats come from. If you wish to bestow a Thai bride with good luck earlier than her wedding ceremony, current her with two Siamese cats!
- Thailand or Prathet Thai means “land of the free”, which is a fairly becoming identify contemplating it’s the solely nation in SE Asia that wasn’t colonized.
- Don’t pull the center finger at somebody in America, and don’t pat anybody on the pinnacle in Thailand. The top is taken into account crucial a part of the physique and needs to be revered.
- The highest of the physique, the pinnacle, is crucial half. And Buddhism states that the underside, the ft, are unholy. They need to be as near the bottom as potential always and tucked underneath you whenever you sit down.
- The nation is affectionately generally known as “land of smiles” as a result of Thai persons are at all times fast to smile and it’s usually a heat and peaceable nation.
- Amulets are well-liked as a logo of safety. You’ll see lots of people carrying them or hanging in taxis.
- Apparently being known as an animal is the worst insult you possibly can have thrown at you. Being extra particular, and utilizing buffalo or water lizard, is an actual sting.
- Thailand has 5 UNESCO heritage websites.
- Opposite to well-liked perception, the Thai’s use forks and spoons to eat and never chopsticks. And knives are infrequently used. Slightly, you’ll want to make use of the sting of the spoon if you wish to lower one thing.
- A typical Thai greeting is the “Wai”. Place your arms collectively, in a prayer-like place, and lift them upwards in the direction of your face whereas bowing your head barely.
- You may present your respect by shifting your arms greater within the “Wai” greeting. Often, you’d maintain your arms as much as your face if greeting somebody a lot older than you. However in case you’re saying hey to your good friend, merely to the chest.
Attention-grabbing Details about Thailand
Listed below are some fascinating information about Thailand that you simply most likely didn’t know.
- Thailand has the world’s longest-reigning monarch.
- Thai persons are extraordinarily loyal to their royal leaders. Loving, praising, and respecting the royal household is anticipated. Criticizing the royals in any method will not be solely frowned upon, but it surely’s thought of treason.
- If a royal walks beneath the monorail tracks, the prepare will come to a whole cease. This to keep away from any layman passing over the pinnacle of a royal.
- Up to now, each Thai man underneath 20 years outdated was a Buddhist monk for a time. This was by no means enforced by legislation however was anticipated from Buddhist households. Dedicating part of your life to Buddhism was thought of to deliver you good karma. There will not be almost as many males who observe monkhood these days.
- Bangkok’s ceremonial identify is without doubt one of the longest names on the earth: Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit. This interprets to: Metropolis of angels, nice metropolis of immortals, magnificent metropolis of the 9 gems, seat of the king, metropolis of royal palaces, dwelling of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra‘s behest. Attempt saying that 10 occasions quick.
- Bangkok is taken into account to be the Venice of the east. Up to now, there have been many complicated waterways working by the town. Lately, there are nonetheless a number of canals which you need to use for journey and commerce. However as the town expanded, quite a lot of the canals have been stuffed and paved to accommodate the expansion.
- In 1989 Thailand fully banned logging to protect what’s left of the hardwood forest. A century in the past, the north of Thailand was virtually fully forest. However virtually three-quarters of it was destroyed as a consequence of logging.
- Sitting in Bangkok’s Wat Traimit temple is the world’s largest stable gold buddha. It’s a huge 15 ft tall and weighs 5.5 tons.
Enjoyable Details about Thailand
From teeny-tiny creatures to huge water fights, listed below are an entire bunch of enjoyable information about Thailand.
- Each the smallest and the most important animals of their variety on the earth name Thailand dwelling. The tiny bumblebee bat is the smallest mammal on the earth weighing 0.07 oz. And the whale shark is the world’s largest fish.
- You’d be forgiven for considering that you simply noticed a mermaid in Thailand. The nation is dwelling to the cave fish, which has land strolling skills, or extra like crawling skills. It makes use of its 4 fins (two entrance, two again) to crawl up waterfalls, very similar to a mammal would crawl on land.
- The orchid is Thailand’s nationwide flower. And what an unimaginable flower it’s. Not solely is an orchid’s magnificence otherworldly, however it’s also the supply of vanilla. There are over 1500 varieties rising in Thailand and also you’ll see the beautiful blooms everywhere in the nation. So it comes as no shock that Thailand is the world’s primary orchid exporter.
- We have now Thailand to thank for the drink that ‘offers you wings’. Pink Bull originated in Thailand within the Seventies.
- Thailand was the most important exporter of rice till India not too long ago overtook the nation. Nevertheless, it’s nonetheless a really shut second.
- You’ll discover totally different temples stamped onto Baht forex and each single one in every of these temples is positioned in Bangkok.
- Put together on your interior 10-year-old to squeal with delight. Yearly, Thailand has the most important water struggle, the Songkran Competition. That is to rejoice the Thai new 12 months, each April. Tens of millions of individuals take to the streets to have a full-on water gun warfare. It’s an absolute splash bash and top-of-the-line music festivals in Thailand.
- Spirit homes, or phi homes, are a typical sight on the outside of homes and buildings. Folks will supply items within the type of meals and trinkets with the intention to placate the spirits in order that they don’t harass anybody dwelling close by.
- There are two Buddhist universities in Bangkok and a number of other thousand monks attend these faculties.
- Soccer is a particularly well-liked sport in Thailand, each on a neighborhood and worldwide stage. Exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra even bought Manchester Metropolis FC.
- The well-known film, The Seaside, was filmed on Koh Phi Phi Le Island. There are some fairly epic pictures that can encourage you to go to ‘the seashore’ that it was filmed on.
Bizarre Details about Thailand
Each nation has some unusual traditions and practices. Thailand definitely does. However the weirdness is what makes it an interesting and incredible nation to go to.
- Have you ever ever felt a longing for chook saliva? Properly, in Thailand you possibly can pay astronomical costs to eat a chook’s nest constituted of the saliva of the male. The cave-dwelling swiftlet nests go for round $900 a pop.
- It’s monkey’s enterprise in Thailand yearly in November. Over 600 fortunate monkeys are invited to feast on a buffet served by locals in entrance of Phra Prang Sam Yot temple within the province of Lopburi. The Lopburi Monkey Banquet is held yearly within the perception that displaying respect to the animals will deliver good luck.
- In case you suppose the monkey banquet is unusual, maintain onto your seat. The Phuket Vegetarian Competition will sound a bit like a sick joke. For starters, it’s acquired barely something to do with plant proteins and soy drinks. Self-mutilation, piercing our bodies with quite a lot of objects, and strolling throughout scorching coals are on the menu. Oh, and partakers will abstain from consuming meat for the ninth lunar month of the Chinese language calendar. All of this to enhance well being.
- Don’t take into consideration ‘going commando’ in Thailand. Letting all of it grasp freely is strictly forbidden – it’s unlawful to depart the home with out underwear on. How anybody would discover out you’re not carrying underwear is a thriller, although.
- Conserving consistent with unusual legal guidelines, it’s unlawful to face on any Thai forex. It is because the King’s face is stamped onto notes and cash. It will be the best blasphemy to step on his face.
- Thailand has an array of unique, colourful, aromatic, and scrumptious fruit! It additionally has one kind of fruit that smells so dangerous you’re not allowed to eat it in some public locations and it’s strictly banned on public transport. Envision the scent of sulfur, so rotting eggs, together with your grandad’s ft and only a contact of moist canine. It doesn’t precisely sound mouth-watering, does it? Properly, you’ll be stunned to seek out out it’s very talked-about and fairly costly too.
- You may drink some trippy, shade altering tea in Thailand. You received’t consider your eyes whenever you watch your drink flip from shiny blue to deep crimson. The tea is constituted of the petals of the butterfly pea plant which creates an attractive blue liquid that tastes just like a light inexperienced tea. The colour adjustments in keeping with pH ranges, so including some lemon juice, for instance, creates a magical impact.
- Thailand might seem to be one large seashore and a tropical playground. However don’t neglect to pop on a prime whenever you soar in your automotive as a result of it’s unlawful to drive with no shirt on.
- A wierd and terrifying file was damaged in Thailand by the ‘Scorpion Queen.’ The girl lived, slept, and ate with 5000 venomous scorpions in a glass room for 33 days and nights.
- The primary identified Siamese twins have been born in Thailand – therefore the identify. The conjoined brothers have been born in 1811 and married two sisters. Don’t ask us how, however the Siamese twins went on to father many kids. The households all lived collectively till the sisters turned fed up with one another. It’s potential that 4 individuals sleeping in a single large mattress loses its attraction after some time.
Thailand Attention-grabbing Details for Vacationers
The tropical nation is a vacationer scorching spot and hundreds of thousands flock to Thailand to benefit from the beautiful surroundings and delightful seashores. Thailand has a ton of fascinating points of interest and sights and you possibly can simply spend months exploring the nation. Whether or not you go on a brief vacation or a protracted backpacking journey, listed below are some fascinating information for vacationers.
- It’s cheaper to hire a moped than take a cab, and it’s a well-liked solution to get round for locals and vacationers. The roads are a bit manic, particularly in Bangkok, so watch out in case you’re a first-time rider.
- In case you go watch a film in Thailand, don’t be stunned when everybody within the film theatre stands up and begins singing alongside to a track on the display screen. That will be the nationwide anthem, and it’s performed earlier than each film. Additionally, you must stand if you wish to keep away from soiled appears, it’s a method of paying respect to the much-loved kingdom.
- There are round two dozen pristine, tropical paradise islands which you’ll hop between in Thailand. They’re all fairly totally different, starting from five-star glamour locations to sluggish seashore bum life. Many vacationers get sucked into the island life and find yourself staying months, and even years. You’ve been warned.
- The nation’s most important worldwide airport, Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok is the one worldwide airport within the nation. It’s the most cost-effective and most handy solution to enter Thailand. Round 45 million individuals undergo this airport yearly.
- The truth is, Bangkok was ranked as probably the most visited place on Earth in 2016. That is simple to consider as soon as you are taking within the crowds, site visitors jams, and bustling Bangkok environment.
- Are you the darkish vacationer type that seeks out morbid websites and points of interest? You’ll be delighted by the Siriraj Forensic Museum which offers with all issues dying. It even has a mummified serial killer on show. This can be a hit and miss form of place, undoubtedly not for anybody who will get queasy simply.
- Thailand is the host of the well-known Full Moon Occasion. Yearly, the island of Koh Phangan gears up for this huge pageant that includes digital music and fireplace reveals.
- Thailand is a tremendous place to go scuba diving. The diving spots are among the finest on the earth, and the costs are among the lowest. A successful mixture for skilled divers, or newbies trying to get their license. In case you have the pleasure of exploring the reefs in Thailand, you’ve gotten the chance to see superb marine life resembling manta rays and whale sharks.
- There’s a huge variety of temples in Thailand. You’ll most likely go to a pair as some are very well-known, or fascinating, or ornately stunning. Bear in mind to put on modest clothes that covers your knees and shoulders, and slip-on sneakers (simply eliminated whenever you go inside). Step OVER the brink of the temple as you enter it, don’t take pictures and at all times be quiet. And by no means level at buddha together with your unholy ft.
- Beer is served on ice. This will seem to be sacrilege but it surely’s tremendous scorching in Thailand and infrequently beer will not be stored within the fridge. So that you’ll be grateful for the on-the-rocks beer tradition.
- Avenue meals in Thailand is scrumptious, genuine, and low-cost. Many vacationers are hesitant to dive into meals from dodgy trying avenue distributors. However the array of aromatic and engaging dishes that you simply’ll discover on the road will make you fall in love with Thai meals.
- Angelina Jolie made conventional temple tattoos well-liked in 2016. The Thai temple tattoo, Sak Yant, has blown up in reputation amongst vacationers. The tattoos are historically carried out by monks utilizing a bamboo needle with metal suggestions dipped in a communal pot of ink – Hygienic, hey?
- Thailand is usually known as the “Golf Capital of Asia”, with fantastically stored programs at an inexpensive value the nation attracts numerous golfers from around the globe.
- ‘Save water drink beer’ in Thailand is extra like ‘save your self, drink beer.’ The sentiment remains to be there. Faucet water in Thailand will not be secure for consumption, so you could purchase bottled water. Nevertheless, you possibly can simply purchase beer. Which prices the identical as a bottle of water and ensures no germs due to its excessive alcohol content material. You would possibly get sick, however solely since you had an excessive amount of of an excellent time.
- The Tuk Tuk is an open car that primarily appears like a motorcycle with coaching wheels. It originated in Thailand and is a well-liked and inexpensive transport possibility all through Thailand.
- Wat is the phrase for temple, Ko is the phrase for island and Soi is the phrase for the road. A crash course in Thai will assist you to select the superb locations you wish to go to.
- The Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok is without doubt one of the largest markets in Asia. And it’s spectacular. You should purchase just about something at this market. From tasty Thai treats to conventional handicrafts and low-cost clothes. Bear in mind, bargaining is the secret at any market in Thailand.
Ultimate ideas on Attention-grabbing Thailand Details
In case you haven’t already been to Thailand, a few of these Thai enjoyable information have hopefully impressed the urge. The beautiful nation is stuffed with quirky cultural traditions that may really feel like a cultural punch to the intestine whenever you first arrive, however which you’ll come to like.
What might be higher than a land of smiling residents, scrumptious meals, fascinating points of interest, and spectacular surroundings?
Begin planning the excellent Thailand itinerary so you possibly can uncover all of those superior issues for your self.
PLANNING A TRIP TO BANGKOK, THAILAND, AND SOUTHEAST ASIA?
Having spent a number of years touring round Thailand and Southeast Asia, my weblog is chock filled with useful articles, journey itineraries, and vacation spot guides similar to this one! I’d love so that you can take a fast flick through a number of extra of my favorites under, and as at all times, be happy to achieve out to me on Instagram or Fb in case you have any questions! I’m at all times completely satisfied to assist any method I can, and love chatting about Thailand!
- Magic Mushrooms in Thailand | From Mushroom Mountain to Past
- The Final Journey Information to Thailand | Instagram Guidelines
- The Final Two-Week Malaysia Itinerary
- The ten Greatest Issues to do on Koh Tao,Thailand
- The 5 Greatest Hostels in Pai, Thailand
- The Greatest 2 Days in Kuala Lumpur Itinerary & Journey Information
- The 20 Greatest Kuala Lumpur Airbnbs WIth Epic Views & Infinity Swimming pools
- The 7 Greatest Locations to Go to in Malaysia in 3 Days | Epic Islands & Weekend Getaways
- The 20 Greatest Seashores in Malaysia
- The 25 Greatest Music Festivals in Asia To Expertise Earlier than You Die
- Final Singapore to Bangkok Journey Overland Backpacking Itinerary
- 3 Days in Singapore | The Final 3-Day Singapore Itinerary & Journey Information
- Malaysia Journey Information: Journey Highlights, Locations, & Itineraries
- Three Weeks in Thailand Itinerary
- The ten Greatest Music Festivals in Thailand To Expertise Earlier than You Die
- Magic Mushrooms in Thailand | To Mellow Mountain & Past
- The 20 Greatest Singapore Rooftop Pool Accommodations
- Prime 20 Airbnb’s in Singapore | Distinctive Stays, Lofts, and Flats
- One Month within the Philippines Journey Itinerary
- The Final Bali Itinerary | The way to Plan the Excellent Bali Trip
Thanks for studying these enjoyable information about Thailand!
Share these Thailand information together with your journey crew!